Monday, April 6, 2015

A Pantoum Poem for NaPoWriMo on Poker, Betting... and Life?

All Bets Are Crazy
by Rachel Hoyt

image by Mister GC via freedigitalimages.net


The choices are call, raise, or fold.
All hold two cards before the flop.
There's no un-crazy bet, I'm told.
Even with odds, you could catch slop.

They're just two cards before the flop,
But, burn-turn, your hand could be flush.
What are the odds you will catch slop?
Who says you're feeling a false rush?

Burn-turn, has your hand fallen flush?
Did chance choose to shower down strength?
Who says you're feeling a false rush?
Perhaps presence surpasses length.

If chance won't choose to bring you strength,
Bluffing may be your safest bet.
Sometimes presence surpasses length.
Be brave and take what you can get.

Bluffing may be your safest bet.
The choices are call, raise, or fold.
Be brave and take what you can get.
There's no un-crazy bet, I'm told.

Copyright © 2015 Rachel Hoyt. All rights reserved.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,


6 comments:

  1. Awesome poem. I love Texas Hold-Em and always love reading your poetry.
    Keep up the good work!
    Were you doing poetry month this year? I've opted out to work on my A-Z blogging challenge this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my poker poem. :)

      I am doing NaPoWriMo, but keeping most of the poems to myself for now. Perhaps some will be good enough to submit somewhere... And so many contests and journals prefer/require submissions to be previously unpublished.

      Delete
    2. I've wondered about that myself. I post everyone to my blog. I've even been publishing a short story to my blog, but I've also been burying it and only linking to friends on FB.

      Delete
    3. There are benefits and drawbacks to both. If no one publishes my submissions, then those poems aren't available for friends and family to read.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this one Rachel. That is an ambitious effort you are taking on with NaPoWriMo. I wish you luck with getting your work published. :)

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...