Saturday, January 31, 2015

Does Your Heart Help You Remember?

My Heart Thinks
by Rachel Hoyt

image by Keerati via freedigitalphotos.net


My heart has a way
of helping my brain
recall all memories
it felt should remain.

My heart is to blame
for all that I know -
the chats my mind changed,
the scenes it won't show.

My heart's in control -
it's a blessing and a curse.
It taints all I know,
for better or worse.

Copyright © 2015 Rachel Hoyt. All rights reserved.


What if emotional engagement doesn't make women's minds weaker?


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. I think emotions help most people remember things, whether they want to admit to it or not. Days, such as when my father died or when my son was born are days I specifically recall almost every detail of. Then the days where you lounge around the house and do nothing are not days you are going to recall. No emotional attachment to anything. After days like that (lounging), I find it hard to recall what I even had to eat during the day. Do emotional engagements make a mind weaker? Certainly not. Anything that exercises the mind helps give it a work out. Emotions are good at exercising ones creativity. A creative mind is certainly better than a bland mind.

    Oh, and nice poem. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree that the emotional days are the ones I remember the best. The question as to whether or not that's a good thing... well, the jury is still out, but as one who enjoys poker quite a bit (where they say it's best to leave emotions out when making decisions... it's complicated. I want to make wise decisions, but I want to remember everything too! Hmmmm...

      Delete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...