Friday, April 11, 2014

Poetry Prompt - Crambo aka Bouts Rimés

In honor of National Poetry Writing Month, I'm bringing back a Friday tradition.  Bouts Rimés means "rhymed ends" in French and is a game or challenge where one person (me) makes a list of rhymed words and others (you) write the lines that end with those rhymes, in the same order in which they were given. It was known as Crambo in English and was quite popular in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Will you help me bring back this hip historical habit?


Wall
Drip 
Gall
Slip
Fall
Lip


Above are the words.
Get writing rhyme nerds!
There will be no winner. This is just for fun
and the joy of rhyming a smile for everyone.

6 comments:

  1. I see a water stain on the wall.
    Slowly it begins to drip.

    My upstairs neighbour has the gall,
    to let the seeping water slip.

    Does he not hear the water fall?
    Or just looking for a big fat lip?


    * These words reminded me of a true story that happened several years ago. I woke one morning to the sound of water dripping, no trickling from... no, actually it was pouring from my ceiling light fixture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Bummer for you, but it makes a good poem! I'll try to write one later.

      Delete
  2. I built a wall between myself and god
    But then it commenced to drip
    I had the gall to walk it insouciantly
    Of course I began to slip
    'After the Fall… LOL", read the text,
    "next time, watch your lip"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My back was against the wall,
    My scalp shivered from the drip,
    My ears rang loud from the gall -
    The chip click of each slick slip -
    Until I saw his downfall
    And bet all on a quivering lip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wallflower
    Little Drip
    My Gall
    Her Slip
    Falling down
    Lower Lip

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...